Friday, January 13, 2012

Crayon Vase

It's time for a craft!  I have yet to come up with something that is 100% my own idea, but I think I did a pretty good job taking this idea I found:


And crafternooning it into this:



So throw the Dance Moms marathon on your tv, get your materials, and have a great crafternoon!

All you need is:
-A jam-sized Mason Jar
-A brand new pack of crisp, clean crayons 
-Fake flowers- I made paper flowers from a pack I got at Paper Source
-A glue gun
-Ribbon
-That styrofoamy green crap you use in fake flower arranging... I'm sure they call it something glamorous like "Floral Styling Foam" but you can get it in the craft section at Walmart.  The little pieces of this stuff get all over your hands and clothes and they feel super grainy and gross and stick to you like glitter but if you can get over that, you should totally use it!

Here is a quick step-by-step via crappy iPhone pictures:

Assemble your materials and get your glue gun niiiiiiice and hot.  You can discard the top of the jar unless you have some sort of affinity toward Mason Jar tops.  I spent 3 minutes googling whether you say "affinity toward", "affinity towards", or "affinity for".  I gave up and just used "toward".  Boy, what I do for a laugh!

Be sure you have a safe working surface!


I'm sure there are proper techniques, but I just put a dot of glue on the jar at the top and bottom and pressed crayons on!  You definitely have to be careful and work slowly, but it's pretty straightforward.  I put the green stuff in the jar first since it's pretty firm and I didn't want to mess up the crayons after they were glued on.  




Jam the flowers in so that they look full and happy and bright. Tie a ribbon around it and secure it tightly.  I just did a tight double knot and snipped off the ends.  Then place it anywhere in your classroom to make it a brighter place!  I put it on my desk near the ugly computer table I covered up with my leftover lace curtains :)



You can't buy Mason Jars without getting the whole darn pack, and you'll probably have leftover crayons and flowers and that disgusting green stuff, so why not make another one?

Orrrrrrr... just put the crayons in the jar and screw on the rim- not the lid.



If you're like me, you have both rainbow AND yellow polka-dotted ribbon laying around AND all sorts of different packs of paper flowers.  Then you can rrrrreally get wild.

No comments:

Post a Comment