Monday, May 7, 2012

The Volume Song

I have a gift.

One, simple, little gift.  I have the ability to write math songs to the tune of the pop music our kiddoes love.  And I do it while they're at P.E.

Here are the lyrics to "Volume, Maybe".

It's about volume.  It's to the tune of....

....."Call Me, Maybe".  teehee.

The chorus is the most important part.  The verses are a little less vital, more silly.  You have to sing it with the real song a few times to get the timing right.  Just remember, I made the syllables match as much as possible.  Then, sing it with your kids to the karaoke version!



Find the volume of a shape
It sounds like it’s so inane
But just know you’ll be okay
I will show you the way

There’s a simple formula
You’ll know it, you’ll be like, “Duh!”
And then you’ll never forget
I will show you the way

You know what the length is
You know what the width is
You know what the height is
Halfway there, you know it, baby!

Hey, find the volume
It isn’t crazy
Just multiply
For volume, baby

You know the length
The width and height
Just multiply
For volume, baby

You know the length
The width and height
Just multiply
For volume, baby

You know the length
The width and height
Just multiply
For volume, baby


For your personal practice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWAdb1vgoik

When you're ready to do it for realz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j7msD4INr0

It's tricky to figure out where to start on this one.  Listen closely and... count 2 measures or count two 4-counts or count one 8-count or start at 0:05.  Whatever floats your boat.  I promise you won't be disappointed.

I also did "Composite Number" to "Moves Like Jagger" by Maroon 5 (did NOT know the actual lyrics until it was too late), "It's Prime, It's Prime" to "Tonight, Tonight" by Hot Chelle Rae, "Quadrangle" to "Firework" by Katy Perry, and "Trapezoid" to "Dynamite" by Taio Cruz.

I also wrote a super complicated song about classifying polygons to "I Gotta Feelin'" by the Black Eyed Peas, but it was wayyyyyy too ambitious.

I did actually get this strategy from an ELL course.  But making up songs to help kids remember stuff helps everyone, not just ELL kids.  The chickadees love for me to take a video of them so they can watch it over and over.  I'm teaching it tomorrow.  I always worry they judge me.  I told them it was happening and I heard a lot of "YES!!!" but at least one, "I hate that song!"  I told that student he/she could do a worksheet instead :)

Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment